Recipe for Chicken in a Red Gravy, with Smoked Sausage By: Jordy Carrier
2 lb’s of chicken breast, cubed
1 lb. of smoked sausage, sliced
1 large white onion, diced
½ large bell pepper, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 regular size can of diced tomatoes
1 regular size can of tomato sauce
3 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Water (amount to be explained in The Process)
1. Apply seasoning to chicken, turn on stovetop to medium high, and pour 2 tablespoons of oil into pot, when oil is heated: place the chicken in for the purpose of browning.
2. Once chicken is browned, pour in enough water as to surround, but not submerge, the meat.
3. Once the water is cooked out of the pot, allow chicken to sizzle in the pot for a few minutes, then remove the meat, apply a thin layer of water, and scratch off any morsels created by the chicken.
4. Once the pot-scratching is done, apply the smoked sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
5. Once the ingredients begin to sizzle: apply the remaining tablespoon of oil over the ingredients, and give a good stir. (The oil protects the ingredients from burning)
6. Allow ingredients to brown for about fifteen minutes, then put chicken back in, and pour in the same amount of water as in Step 2.
7. Allow the water to cook out, and allow the ingredients to sizzle one last time (for about 5 minutes) then pour in a cup of water and utilize the pot-scratching technique as in Step 3
8. Once pot-scratching in done, apply both the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, allow to cook in the medium-high setting for about ten minutes, then turn temperature down and allow to simmer for 30-40 minutes. Serve over rice
Du bon manger, c’est la joie de vivre. (Good food is the joy of life.)