Smoked Sausage and Tasso By: JordyCarrier (gourmetbyjordy.wordpress.com)
1 lb. of smoked sausage, sliced
1 lb. of tasso, sliced
1 large white onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Water (Amount to be explained in The Process)
- In unheated pot, place tasso and pour in enough water to slightly cover the meat, turn on stovetop to medium-high.
- Allow water to boil out, and when the water is evaporated: apply 2 tablespoons of oil and sliced sausage into pot; allow meat to brown, flipping occasionally (about ten to fifteen minutes)
- Once meat is browned: pour in the same amount of water as in Step 2.
- Once water is cooked out: remove meat and introduce the vegetables, along with the other 2 tablespoons of oil. Sauté vegetables for about ten to fifteen minutes (The point being to soften them).
- Once vegetables are sautéed: place the meat back in, and pour 5 cups of water in.
- The final step is to both achieve tenderness with the meat and your vegetables to be dissolved…continue to keep a definite amount of water in the pot, and once these objectives have been achieved: cook the water down until a thick gravy is produced in the pot. Serve over rice.
Du bon manger, c’est la joie de vivre. (Good food is the joy of life.)